Barn doors have become increasingly popular for their charm and space-saving functionality. Whether you're renovating your home or designing a new space, installing a barn door can add a touch of elegance and practicality. However, before you rush into purchasing a barn door, it's crucial to measure your door opening accurately to ensure a seamless fit. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you measure your door opening for a barn door installation.
- You can do this yourself: If you can use a tape measure and get measurements that are accurate to ¼ inch you are OK. A quick note, while we understand the metric system, the default measurements for home building in all of North America are imperial units.
- Gather Your Tools: The most important tool for this is the Viba how to measure sheet, you can find it here: https://vibahardware.com/pages/how-to-measure-for-barn-door-hardware . Then grab a measuring tape, and a pencil. Having these tools handy will make the measuring process much smoother.
- Measure the Width: Start by measuring the width of the door opening horizontally from one side to the other. Barn doors typically need a rail that is at least 2X as wide as your door opening. The second width measurement you will need is how much room there is to either side of the opening, and how wide your trim work is (if you have any).
- Measure the Height: Next, measure the height of the door opening vertically from the floor to the top of the opening. The barn door should be slightly taller than the opening to cover the entire space effectively. You will also need to know how much room there is over top of the opening as your hardware will require between 2 and 8 inches of clearance.
- Consider Door overlap: We usually recommend 2-3 inches of overlap on each side of an opening. This extra width ensures that the door covers the opening entirely when closed. Vertically our recommendation is that you only need a door that is the height of the opening. You can choose to also cover your trim work for aesthetic reasons.
- Call us if you have concerns: If you're unsure about taking accurate measurements or have unique architectural features in your space, don't hesitate to contact us. If you call during standard business hours, we actually answer our phones and you can talk to a real human. 905-499-0075. OR – you can reach us on our contact us page: https://vibahardware.com/pages/contact-us
By following these steps, you can confidently measure your door opening for a barn door, ensuring a perfect fit and a stylish addition to your home or office space. Happy measuring and happy decorating!